ABOUT OUR POLICY PRIORITIES
The California Black Health Network advocates for health equity by leading and facilitating convenings in all regions of California for the purpose of providing policy analysis, research and training that promotes best practices, which supports the creation of optimal conditions needed to sustain healthy Black people.
As the leading organized statewide voice on African health, we assist decision-makers throughout the state to develop policies and programs that create the social, economic and environmental conditions that improve the health of our communities.
Our Areas of Focus
Prevention and Wellness
Focus: Prevent disease and injury and promote conditions that increase health equity and health justice.
- Warning Labels on Sugar Sweetened Beverages
- HIV/AIDS Education
- Sickle Cell Education – Clinical Trial Education
- Paid Family Leave Education and Outreach
Focus: Improve the health of those who have experienced social or economic disadvantage by eliminating health disparities including disparities in health care and in the living and working conditions that influence health.
- Black Infant Health
- Mental Health (California Reducing Disparities Project)
Health Care Access
Focus: Increase access to affordable, high quality, culturally and linguistically appropriate care in a timely manner for all Californians.
- Boys and Men of Color – School Based Health Centers
- Boys and Men of Color – Social Justice Issues
- Health for All – Including Black Immigrants
- Affordable Care Act and Medi-Cal Expansion
Focus: Prevent or control disease, injury, and disability related to the interactions between people and their environment. Poor environmental quality has its greatest impact on people whose health status is already at risk. Therefore, environmental health must address the societal and environmental factors that increase the likelihood of exposure and disease.
- AB 32 – The California Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006
- Increase the racial composition in environmental organizations and agencies to break the “green ceiling”.
CBHN Coalition Participation
- Boys and Men of Color Alliance – Policy Link
- Paid Family Leave Coalition
- Health in All Policies Coalition – Health Access (Anthony Wright)
- Save Lives Coalition – Movement to pass a tobacco tax