Sr. Development Manager (posted 07/2023)
The California Black Health Network (CBHN) is the only Black female-led, statewide organization dedicated to advocating for health equity for all Black (African Americans and Black Immigrants) Californians. CBHN’s mission is to ensure that all Black Californians, regardless of their education, socioeconomic class, zip code, sexual orientation, gender identity, homelessness, or immigration status, have access to high-quality and equitable primary and behavioral healthcare, and avoid unnecessarily succumbing to disease. CBHN conducts outreach, education, and advocacy to achieve health equity for Black Californians through the lens of understanding critical issues that lie at the intersection of racial justice, social justice, and environmental justice.
CBHN is searching for a passionate and experienced Sr. Development Manager to work with our organization. Duties for the Sr. Development Manager include fundraising, campaign management, donor and funder prospecting, and managing donor databases and tracking systems.
The ideal candidate for this role should have superior communications and organizational skills, strong leadership qualities, and exceptional fundraising skills. The Sr. Development Manager leads, develops, and oversees fundraising strategies and CBHN’s Campaign for Black Health Equity. The Sr. Development Manager must have excellent communication, relationship management, and networking skills. In addition, the Sr. Development Manager must have an excellent fundraising track record, and skilled at analyzing data and outcomes, leading the preparation and implementation of development/fundraising strategies and plans, while operating in a collaborative working environment.
This job description is subject to change at any time.
- Must possess a successful track record of fundraising and campaign management experience
- Must possess experience managing and cultivating funder relationships as well as individual donors.
- Must possess the ability to lead and manage fundraising initiatives successfully with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work independently to develop and implement fundraising strategies in collaboration with
CBHN team members and Board of Directors.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with external and internal audiences in a clear
and concise manner.
- Must have excellent communication and writing skills.
- Exhibit the ability to seek out and implement opportunities to improve processes
and fundraising results.
- Must demonstrate respect and sensitivity for all communities and cultures both
internal and external to CBHN organizational culture.
- Must be able to operate in a dynamic, fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Must be able to act decisively, engaging in timely and quality decision-making.
Development and Fundraising
- Manages the daily activities of CBHN’s fundraising and development campaigns and programs.
- Collaborates with the Executive Director on the development of goals and strategies for all fundraising campaigns, including the Campaign for Black Health Equity.
- Plans and implements marketing programs and special events to maximize prospect/donor engagement.
- Collaborates with Membership and Network Manager on annual membership campaigns, including designing the campaign, procuring materials, executing a mail and e-mail campaign, and creating progress reports for internal and external use.
- Researches donor prospects, cultivate and grow CBHN’s donor base, maintain donor prospect lists and donor database, as well as executing prompt acknowledgement of donations.
Communications and Technology
- Proficient use of reporting systems to manage donors, fundraising activities, and grant prospecting, tracking, reporting, and communications.
- Proficient use and management of grants database and software tools.
- Report to Executive Director on a regular basis through scheduled meetings and
participate in staff meetings.
- Liaise with the Board of Directors on fundraising initiatives and campaigns.
- Coordinate with funders, CBHN staff, and key allies, and engage in organizational activities as required.
- Bachelor’s degree and commensurate work experience.
- At least five years of experience leading fundraising strategies and campaigns.
- Strong writing skills including proofreading and editing.
- Experience working with funders and Board of Directors
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment and function effectively in a remote office
environment, if necessary.
- Able to prioritize multiple assignments and meet conflicting deadlines within a
dynamic work environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills to work effectively and professionally with a diverse Board, constituents, and stakeholders.
- Work is primarily sedentary with some light work.
- Travel may be necessary up to 10%.
- Skilled operation of a computer, copier, and telephone is required.
- In-office or remote, if not candidate is not Sacramento-based.
- A successful track record in fundraising and donor management.
- Possesses drive and initiative and can work autonomously with minimal supervision.
- Comfortable working with databases, analytical tools, and various online meeting platforms.
- Passionate about health equity and CBHN’s mission, programs, and relevant health policy
- Proficient in using tools such as Donorbox and other fundraising platforms.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of MS Office, MS Teams, SharePoint, Zoom, etc.
Commensurate with experience, starting at $90K. Excellent benefits provided.
We seek exceptional talent with an entrepreneurial spirit, who can help lead us into the future. We welcome hard-working, passionate people who connect with our values and seek a collaborative environment where employees can reach their full potential. We seek people who are innovative, creative, fun, and driven to go above and beyond to take our organization to the next level.
Submit a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample (no longer than 5 pages) to:
Subject line: Sr. Development Manager Position.
Position open until filled.
CBHN is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds.